Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hmmm

I've been sitting at my computer thinking about how I need to post something new. I'm pleased that I think I may have figured out what I would like to be when I grow up, but I'm not entirely certain how to go about it. I was at a conference the past few days and I had the opportunity to listen to a keynote speaker in a field that really spoke to me.

I found it evident, by looking at the audience, that I was probably one of the few who were truly interested in the speaker and what he had to say. Dr. Jeffrey M. Zacks is a cognitive scientist. All I can say is, I found his speech to be interesting in ways I hadn't felt about education in quite some time.

I came home from the conference with a great deal of information that I can apply in my classroom, and a desire to learn more about cognitive science. There is a great deal of background in psychology required and I have always love psychology. It was my first major, but then I changed fields after a while, into education. Now I just feel trapped in a field that offers job security, terribly pay, horrible hours, and nothing but frustration.

I have always enjoyed learning, so I can't help but think that perhaps my life has sent me in this direction to place me in line with Dr. Zacks, so that I may figure out that I should be into researching. I am thrilled that I can at least try this out a little bit, because the class I've just started is all about research.

I'm thrilled with this new class and I hope that I really do find my niche. Maybe I can finally feel a sense of purpose in my life, rather than that of the annoyed school teacher. *sigh*

No comments: