Saturday, September 12, 2009

Writing

I have begun something in my classroom that I find beneficial to me as well. I have instituted writing time. Every day for the first 10 minutes of class, students are to write in their writing journals. After we set up their journals (numbered pages, created a table of contents, etc.), they spent a week creating lists of topics. This week I had them choose a topic and write about it. A few grumbled, a few ignored me (darned kids), and a surprising number were thrilled.

The best part that I did though, was sit down and write in MY journal. I am finding how surprising it is that I can do it. I will just begin writing and do it for the entire 10 minutes. Then when the next class comes in for their class, I continue to write. I have been writing for about 30 minutes a day. I'm really quite proud of myself. I actually like what I have written too! I think that's what makes it so astounding.

I consider it to be something like the concept of "sleep when the baby sleeps". I write when my students write and it's working really well. They were surprised to see me writing when I first started doing it. I think that as a teacher, we forget to participate in our own teaching and use the quiet time to work at our desks. I like my writing time. I like feeling empowered by my words. I like writing something and realizing that I mean what I say. I told my students, especially those who claim they have nothing to write about, that I felt that way for the longest time. Now, however, I notice just how much I do have to write about.

We each created a list of people in our lives, mine took up three columns on one page in a composition notebook. Then, I started adding bits and pieces to each name that really stuck with me. I would add a little detail here and a note there. Now, I'm aware of how many little stories I have. I commented a while ago that I was planning to write a book. I just didn't know what I was planning to write it on. I now have an idea forming in my head, and I'm going to keep playing with it. Perhaps, I may be a writer after all. Now, if only I could teach it!

On a side note, I'm looking at career alternatives. Teaching is much too stressful with 8th graders, but I still like teaching. I'm thinking maybe something more corporate. Like a corporate trainer or something. Instead of being at those boring trainings, I could be conducting them. How cool is that?! Additionally, class number 1 for grad school is down and now on class #2. I hope it's all over sooner rather than later, but estimated graduation isn't until June 2011. Keep me in your thoughts, please. This juggling act isn't easy.

No comments: